Nursing Assistant Training Program
Level 1 (NA-1)
Number of DayS You Could
Be Job ready
Who is a Certified Nursing Assistant?
A Certified Nursing Assistant assists licensed nursing personnel in providing basic nursing care with daily living tasks, such as help with dressing, bathing, nutrition and hydration, hygiene, elimination; and with basic care services, such as maintaining clean bed linens, taking/recording vital signs, and maintaining mobility. CNAs work closely with patients, providing important social and emotional support and are a vital source of information on the status of patients to medical staff.
NA-1 Training Program Prerequisites
- NA-1students must be at least 16 years of age. (The signature of a Parent/Legal Guardian is required for all NA-1 students who are under the age of 18.)
- NA-1 students must be able to read, write and communicate in English.
NA-1 Training Program Curriculum
Nursing Assistant Level 1 students learn the responsibilities, duties, and skills expected of a CNAs in the State of Oregon. Students will be actively involved in the classroom setting, skills lab, and will complete the practicum in a nursing facility in the community. The NA-1 program consists of 80 hours in a classroom/labs and 75 hours in a clinical setting, for a total of 155 hours. The Online NA-1 training program consists of 53 hours of online instruction, with the online students joining an onsite class for labs and clinicals only. The NA-1 Enhanced Learning program consists of 100 hours in a classroom/labs setting and 75 hours in a clinical setting. Upon successful completion of the program, students will be issued a Certificate of Completion and be eligible to apply for certification by competency examination with the OSBN.
Which NA-1 Class is Right for Me?
NA-1 Accelerated Classes
- Accelerated classes move fast and are are designed for students with good reading comprehension skills, strong study habits and time management skills.
NA-1 Day & Evening Classes
- Day and Evening classes allow students more time to read the required chapters, review the course material, practice their skills, and study for exams.
NA-1 Weekend Classes
- Weekend classes run are held on Saturdays and Sundays over a ten-week period.
NA-1 Enhanced Learning Classes
- Enhanced learning classes feature an additional 20 didactic hours to provide students with more in-depth information on different program segments, added focus on vocabulary and medical terminology, practice in test-taking skills, and guidance on employment readiness skills.
NA-1 Online Classes
- Students enrolling in NA-1 Online classes work independently during the online portion of the program and must have access to a reliable computer with an internet connection and an email address.
- NA-1 students must complete an Information Session, submit their all their enrollment paperwork, and pay their tuition in full (unless they set up a tuition payment plan) at least two (2) business days prior to the first day of class. A payment plan must be set up at least two (2) business days prior to the first day of class.
- NA-1 students must pay their Criminal Background Check fee in full prior to the first day of class.
- NA-1 students must obtain and provide documentation of current AHA BLS CPR training, TB screening, drug screening, and any required immunization documentation by the end of the day of their scheduled midterm exam.
Cost of Training
(Pricing effective for classes staring May 1, 2017)
|NA-1 Tuition (Includes Class, Labs & Clinical)|
|NA-1 Enhanced Learning Program Tuition (Includes Class, Labs & Clinical)|
|NA-1 School Handbook|
|Criminal Background Check|
|Substance Abuse (Drug Screening)|
Student Responsibility – Additional Expenses (Varies)
- NA-1 Textbook & Workbook (available for purchase at the school for $60)
- AHA BLS CPR Certification (available for purchase at the school for $52)
- TB Screening (TB Skin PPD tests available for purchase at the school for $25 each)
- Medical Equipment – Blood Pressure Cuff/Stethoscope Kit/Gait Belt (available for purchase for purchase at the school in kit form for $65; also, priced individually)
- Scrubs (any color/pattern), shoes (closed toe non-skid sole or athletic), a wristwatch with a second hand (not digital)
- Note-taking Supplies (folder, notebook, pens, pencils, highlighters)
- Required Immunization(s): Influenza (during the flu season)
*OSBN Certification Fees
|OSBN CNA-1 Examination Fee|
|Fingerprint Collection Fee|
*An OSBN Board Review Class is available for purchase at the school for $40.